Chris, Joshua and Toby from eBook Architects join us to discuss the process of ebook conversion. Surprise! It’s not as simple as shoving some text in an auto-conversion scrip. Well… not if you want to do it right.
Google+ and Cox weren’t playing nice with Evo tonight. Please forgive us. But we powered through, and over the course of 25 minutes, here’s what we covered on this edition of The Books & Beer Hangout:
- From Word doc to ebook — what’s involved?
- The importance of starting with a good book!
- Why easy-conversion tools may not be the best way to proceed
- What ebook formats you should care about
- Pitfalls to avoid before converting your document to ebook form
- Why you should study current and future trends for ebooks
- Features of ebooks you’re probably missing
- The wisdom of checking out the competition before you create your ebook
- Researching marketplaces to make sure your book is readable everywhere
- What authors need to understand before working with an ebook converter
- What you need that you’re probably missing when you create an ebook
- The process that eBook Architect follows to create an ebook
- The importance of cleanup before you start the conversion process
- The future of devices and formats on ebook readers
- Proper formatting for different devices
- Will ebook readers become free?
- What about fixed-format books? Comic books, photography books…
- Will mobile websites beat out ebooks?
- Three predictions for ebooks in the next 12 months.
And there was the obligatory drinking of beers. Tonight’s choices: Redbud Brewing’s Arbor. (Skip this one. I think it was infected.) , 400 Pound Monkey by Left Hand, a Shock Top Raspberry, and a Hercules IPA by Great Divide.
The Books & Beer Hangout is broadcast live every Thursday night at 6P/9E as a Google+ Hangout on Air and on YouTube Live! Circle ePublish Unum on Google+ to watch live, and to join The Books & Beer Hangover right after the show to chat with hosts and participants live!