Sarah Rios & Rachel Desilets face the daily challenges of launching a writing career while maintaining a full-time job. Many of you face the same thing, and hearing how others handle the stress and workload that comes with writing part-time while working full-time may help.
Fair warning. It’s possible that at least one of our guests and one of our hosts may have over-emphasized the beer portion of the show. With that out of the way, here are some of the items we covered in 25 minutes on this episode of The Books & Beer Hangout:
- Why your job shouldn’t stop you from writing 3 books in a year
- How to keep your job when the writing bug strikes
- The realities of finding time to write
- Working with longer blocks or smaller chunks
- How to avoid burnout
- Dealing with frustrations when you can’t write as much as you want
- Establishing realistic goals and becoming happy with your career
- Finding quality help through crowdsourcing
- Deciding if you should self-publish or seek a fat advance
- Building your audience before you get published
- The importance of setting realistic publishing goals — short-term and long-term
- Mistakes you’ll want to avoid as you try and find your balance
The Books & Beer Hangout is broadcast live every Thursday night at 6P/9E as a Google+ Hangout on Air and on YouTube Live! Circle ePublish Unum on Google+ to watch live, and to join The Books & Beer Hangover right after the show to chat with hosts and participants live!