Scott Sigler, New York Times best-selling author, and his business partner A Kovacks, Sigler-wrangler and rock star, join us for a conversation about the life of a digital author in 2012.
Here are the items we covered in 25 minutes on this episode of The Books & Beer Hangout:
- The definition of “author” in 2012
- Hint: it’s more than just writing and publishing stories!
- The important role of promotion and marketing
- How to blend writing for a big house with writing — and publishing! — for yourself
- Working with developmental editors
- Scheduling all the “non-writing” things required in digital publishing
- Logistics of successful self-publishing that will probably scare the pants off of you.
- The daily routine of a successfully published and best-selling author
- How many words you really have to write each and every day
- The value of social media and your job of providing entertainment as an author
- Why you may need a non-writing partner to be successful as a digitally published author
- What happens when you fall behind in your writing
- Working with vendors to keep them happy and productive
- Juggling writing, editing and producing multiple books at the same time
- How breaking up your day into chunks keeps you on track to meet your publishing and writing goals
- Why a strict schedule may be just what you need to finish
- Why slapping a price tag on a book means you have to be serious about your writing
- The role of the creative adjacent, and why you need one
- Why you really, really, really need a professional editor. Really. Did we say really?
- Why you need more than a first draft before you publish
- Why writing is a business, and that business requires a monetary investment
- Why you should ignore authors who really aren’t selling a whole lot of books
- The power of free, even when you’re a successful author
“You cannot take it out of Scrivner, put it into MS Word, upload it to Smashwords and publish it on Amazon and expect anyone to think it’s anything but amateur.” – A Kovacs
And there are two things we need from you, faithful listener/watcher. Pretty please, with sugar one it, would you kindly…
- Vote for our SXSW 13 digital publishing sessions. If we get picked, we save some cash. So please help!
- Register for our new “Four Weeks to Finished” class that helps you get that book you’ve been writing and re-writing finally published!
And there was the obligatory drinking of beers. Tonight’s choices: Stone 16th Anniversary, a Bud Light (gods, it hurts me to write that, and I refuse to link to it), Port Brewing’s Wipeout IPA, and the Blue Face Scottish Ale from Battered Boar.
The Books & Beer Hangout is broadcast live every Thursday night at 6P/9E as a Google+ Hangout on Air and on YouTube Live! Circle ePublish Unum on Google+ to watch live, and to join The Books & Beer Hangover right after the show to chat with hosts and participants live!